Who would wrap downpipes?

Author
Discussion

handful17

Original Poster:

24 posts

Yesterday (13:26)
quotequote all
Just getting back into the bike scene as per another thread and I've noticed quite a few bikes for sale with wrapped exhaust downpipes. When did this become a thing?! I have read it can help to dissipate heat but in all my years of riding I never heard of this being needed. Personally I think it looks awful and it would put me off buying a bike. What are others views?

Jazoli

9,014 posts

245 months

Yesterday (13:44)
quotequote all
Looks st, usually to be found on some hipster pile of wk.

airsafari87

2,402 posts

177 months

Yesterday (13:49)
quotequote all
Jazoli said:
Agreed.

Wouldn’t happen to be a Ducati Scrambler that you’re looking at would it?

handful17

Original Poster:

24 posts

Yesterday (13:51)
quotequote all
airsafari87 said:
Agreed.

Wouldn’t happen to be a Ducati Scrambler that you’re looking at would it?
How do you know I'm looking at one of those right this minute?eek

croyde

22,184 posts

225 months

Yesterday (13:55)
quotequote all
Jazoli said:
Thanks for making laugh out loud hehe

StreetDragster

1,458 posts

213 months

Yesterday (13:56)
quotequote all
Don't let it put you off though, 5 mins with some side cutters and it'll be off.

handful17

Original Poster:

24 posts

Yesterday (14:04)
quotequote all
Jazoli said:
Thanks for confirming beyond any doubt that I'm not a hipster!

ssray

1,058 posts

220 months

Yesterday (14:09)
quotequote all
And the other side of the coin.
Zzr1100 run very hot in the summer and the radiator is very close to the downpipes.

So when fitting a used Remus 4 into 1, I've wrapped the downpipes,
I've only done it to just before the 4 into 1 collector.

It seems ok so far,a bit stinky at first, the bike not me, deffo a lot less hot air coming from the fairing vents.

handful17

Original Poster:

24 posts

Yesterday (14:23)
quotequote all
StreetDragster said:
Don't let it put you off though, 5 mins with some side cutters and it'll be off.
Doesn't it leave a load of marks from where it was through?

Dog Star

15,721 posts

163 months

Yesterday (14:44)
quotequote all
I love how appropriate the next thread down is … rofl

srob

11,473 posts

233 months

Yesterday (15:02)
quotequote all
Hot gases flow faster through hot pipes, so insulating'heating the pipes would help gas flow as it pulls the exhaust gas out faster.

Used to be common on historic race bikes.

It has become fashionable to do it now too.

Krikkit

26,255 posts

176 months

Yesterday (15:06)
quotequote all
handful17 said:
StreetDragster said:
Doesn't it leave a load of marks from where it was through?
Unless it's been on there for ages and constantly wet it'll polish out easily if it's marked the pipe at all.

handful17

Original Poster:

24 posts

Yesterday (15:08)
quotequote all
srob said:
Hot gases flow faster through hot pipes, so insulating'heating the pipes would help gas flow as it pulls the exhaust gas out faster.

Used to be common on historic race bikes.

It has become fashionable to do it now too.
I get it with race bikes but for road bikes that really don't have that profile (like Harleys) it seems like it's to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

shirt

22,094 posts

196 months

Yesterday (15:15)
quotequote all
My track bike has them wrapped, also my monster 1100 road bike. The exhaust routing on the monster isn’t the best for heat management, has a great effect of cooking your thighs and balls. Even with the wrap it can be uncomfortable in summer when stationary.

Dry climate here so no worries about corrosion under the wrap.

Dog Star

15,721 posts

163 months

Yesterday (15:17)
quotequote all
handful17 said:
I get it with race bikes but for road bikes that really don't have that profile (like Harleys) it seems like it's to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
To be fair it’s like a lot of stuff in just about any bike segment these days - be it stuff like exhaust tape on hipster bikes, knee sliders etc. The pointless tat on most stuff pales into insignificance though when I look at all the bks that a lot of “adventure bike” riders bolt all over their steeds - short fat blokes who have had to lower the things just to get on who then bolt 50kg of “crash protection” and racking to a 300kg bike, whack some knobblies and enormous alloy boxes on them stand around outside some “biker cafe” trying to make out they’re a Dakar rider. Probably worthy of a thread on its own.

Gixer968CS

532 posts

83 months

Yesterday (16:38)
quotequote all
Usually found in Shoreditch and owned by a man with a beard and shoes without socks.

TwinKam

2,723 posts

90 months

Yesterday (17:05)
quotequote all
...and has been known to be used to cover-up gravel rash.
On cheaper, less stainless grades of 'stainless', it can cause corrosion that doesn't just polish out, so beware and be prepared to rapidly re-wrap in both cases.

Dog Star

15,721 posts

163 months

Yesterday (17:07)
quotequote all
Gixer968CS said:
Usually found in Shoreditch and owned by a man with a beard and shoes without socks.
If you want to see critical mass of “that sort of thing” I suggest “Wheels and Waves” in Biarritz - went a few years ago, great trip (on an R1 with a rucksack - sore arse) and the level of barista beard, TCK80 and exhaust wrap caused a warp in the space time continuum.

nismocat

180 posts

3 months

I happened to stumble apon a group of "bikers" on that Distinguished gentleman's ride thing.
Oh my god, a bunch of pretentious hipster tts I ever did see. (granted not all but the normal ones looked highly uncomfortable).

Exhaust wraps abound.

One even cheekily mocked my CG125. How very dare he.