Author
Discussion

JuanCarlosFandango

7,316 posts

66 months

Yesterday (10:56)
quotequote all
Triumph Man said:
That is just rehashing what he said the other day as a scare story. It's more measured than what his opponent said.

CivicDuties

3,597 posts

25 months

Yesterday (11:32)
quotequote all
JuanCarlosFandango said:
Triumph Man said:
That is just rehashing what he said the other day as a scare story. It's more measured than what his opponent said.
I feel certain that's a great comfort to the people of the Falklands Islands.

DeejRC

5,330 posts

77 months

Yesterday (11:53)
quotequote all
I rather suspect the ppl of the FI don’t care overly much. The military ability of Argentina is currently slightly less than the Jamaican bobsleigh team.
Given that this bloke appears to be saying he intends slashing govt spending, then I don’t think he is rebuilding the Navy & Airforce anytime soon.

JuanCarlosFandango

7,316 posts

66 months

Yesterday (11:56)
quotequote all
CivicDuties said:
Is there anything to suggest that their independence is any more under threat than it was last week?

CivicDuties

3,597 posts

25 months

Yesterday (11:59)
quotequote all
JuanCarlosFandango said:
CivicDuties said:
Is there anything to suggest that their independence is any more under threat than it was last week?
Yes. The election of an unhinged far-right President in Argentina, the sort of bloke who likes to wave chainsaws around in public, and who is a kind of Trump-level idiot who is likely to stop at nothing in order to maintain his own political position, including whipping up nationalism and using the "issue" of the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands as a domestic political weapon.

Countdown

38,754 posts

191 months

Yesterday (12:01)
quotequote all
Come o people, you're worrying about nothing. I mean when was the last time a far-right Leader talked about annexing and occupying land that he felt rightly belonged to his Country ?

JuanCarlosFandango

7,316 posts

66 months

Yesterday (12:37)
quotequote all
CivicDuties said:
Yes. The election of an unhinged far-right President in Argentina, the sort of bloke who likes to wave chainsaws around in public, and who is a kind of Trump-level idiot who is likely to stop at nothing in order to maintain his own political position, including whipping up nationalism and using the "issue" of the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands as a domestic political weapon.
Here he is rallying the troops by, err, praising Margaret Thatcher

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/13/javi...

2xChevrons

2,936 posts

75 months

Yesterday (12:38)
quotequote all
CivicDuties said:
Surely as an anarcho-capitalist libertarian who believes in the Non-Aggression Principle (ha!), Milei will just negotiate to purchase the Falklands as a business transaction in free exchange at what market forces dictate is the correct price?

Heck, a large part of Sunak would probably be minded to accept that deal if it came his way!

RichTT

Original Poster:

2,867 posts

166 months

Yesterday (12:51)
quotequote all
CivicDuties said:
JuanCarlosFandango said:
CivicDuties said:
from the article :

"Mr Milei, 53, said in the debate: "We had a war – that we lost – and now we have to make every effort to recover the islands through diplomatic channels."

I don't see what's controversial about that?

(also, he's not far right)

BikeBikeBIke

7,290 posts

110 months

Yesterday (13:09)
quotequote all
RichTT said:
from the article :

"Mr Milei, 53, said in the debate: "We had a war – that we lost – and now we have to make every effort to recover the islands through diplomatic channels."

+1

Argentina already claim sovereignty of the Falklands so he's changing nothing.

sugerbear

3,624 posts

153 months

Yesterday (13:09)
quotequote all
2xChevrons said:
CivicDuties said:
Surely as an anarcho-capitalist libertarian who believes in the Non-Aggression Principle (ha!), Milei will just negotiate to purchase the Falklands as a business transaction in free exchange at what market forces dictate is the correct price?

Heck, a large part of Sunak would probably be minded to accept that deal if it came his way!
How much bitcoin would the Falkland Islands be worth ?

Vanden Saab

13,225 posts

69 months

Yesterday (13:12)
quotequote all
RichTT said:
CivicDuties said:
JuanCarlosFandango said:
CivicDuties said:
from the article :

He is considered so by the muppets who use the term, to them it means anyone they dislike or disagree with.

CivicDuties

3,597 posts

25 months

Yesterday (13:16)
quotequote all
RichTT said:
CivicDuties said:
JuanCarlosFandango said:
CivicDuties said:
from the article :

Could be the "make every effort to recover the islands" part. "Recover" being a pretty interesting word to use, when they were never Argentinian in the first place. Perhaps we could take the word of the Falklands Islands government on this point:

https://falklands.gov.fk/our-history

Amazing to see keen British patriots prevaricating over the sovereignty of these islands.

(also, he's far-right)

JuanCarlosFandango

7,316 posts

66 months

Yesterday (13:18)
quotequote all
It's quite an interesting example of how things are spun.

As for as I can see he is an academic economist with a bit of an eccentric approach to public image, talking about how he's going to solve Argentina's economic problems and playing down the disagreement over the Falklands, and yet he's being presented as this mad "far right" showman gearing up to mount another invasion.

F1GTRUeno

6,182 posts

213 months

Yesterday (13:25)
quotequote all
JuanCarlosFandango said:

As for as I can see he is an academic economist with a bit of an eccentric approach to public image, talking about how he's going to solve Argentina's economic problems and playing down the disagreement over the Falklands, and yet he's being presented as this mad "far right" showman gearing up to mount another invasion.
That's because you're an idiot though.

Vanden Saab said:
RichTT said:
CivicDuties said:
JuanCarlosFandango said:
CivicDuties said:
from the article :

He is considered so by the muppets who use the term, to them it means anyone they dislike or disagree with.
Oh, like woke?

He's far right. No need to deny it because you might agree with him and don't like the connotations.

Edited by F1GTRUeno on Tuesday 21st November 13:28

JuanCarlosFandango

7,316 posts

66 months

Yesterday (13:26)
quotequote all
F1GTRUeno said:
That's because you're an idiot though.
I know you are!

hidetheelephants

21,542 posts

188 months

Yesterday (13:29)
quotequote all
JuanCarlosFandango said:

Given he's accompanied by few deputies and even fewer senators he's not going to be doing much of anything other than holding press conferences about how he can't get anything done.

CivicDuties

3,597 posts

25 months

Yesterday (13:29)
quotequote all
JuanCarlosFandango said:

Yes and Putin was never going to go the full fash and invade Ukraine either, so no problem I'm sure. These people just want to Make Their Country Great Again, what's wrong with that? Right?

Nobody's saying he's "gearing up" to mount an invasion, he's only just gained office, so stop misrepresenting what's being said.

There's this funny thing called the future, and also the past, look at the track record of similar sorts of leaders utterly failing their countries and trying to bury their failure by wrapping it up in a flag and invading somewhere they they think should belong to them when it doesn't. No, never happens that, no need to even take a cursory glance at history.

Jesus, the willful naivety.

2xChevrons

2,936 posts

75 months

Yesterday (13:32)
quotequote all
JuanCarlosFandango said:

Those things are true, but they're not why he's being called far-right, are they? No one's calling Milei 'far right' because "he is an academic economist with a bit of an eccentric approach to public image, talking about how he's going to solve Argentina's economic problems and playing down the disagreement over the Falklands." (btw I do agree that his statements about the Falklands are pretty moderate and essentially just state both the current political position and the settled national stance of Argentina. Other Argentinian leaders have been far more strident. It's awful clickbait headline-writing by parts of the British media). Plus, practically, Argentina doesn't have the capability to get troops across the Puerto Madero docklands, let alone to the Falklands.

But I suspect the label of 'far-right' gets slapped on because of his position on the left/right economic axis (a self-described anarcho-capitalist, the hardest of hard right economic positions), his social conservatism, his bombastic (to put it mildly) rhetoric about leftists and so on.

I suspect that if, say, Paul Cockshott (Marxist economist) somehow became PM of the UK you wouldn't accept "he's just an academic economist, talking about how he's going to solve the UK's economic problems" as a defence of him not being "far-left".

Put it another way - if it was correct to label Corbyn and McDonnell as "far left", can we accept that it's equally correct to label Milei as "far right"?

I don't think either label is accurate to those cases, but in both I can see why others would apply them, and why those people are more than just theorists talking about radical solutions to problems.

JuanCarlosFandango

7,316 posts

66 months

Yesterday (13:32)
quotequote all
hidetheelephants said:
Given he's accompanied by few deputies and even fewer senators he's not going to be doing much of anything other than holding press conferences about how he can't get anything done.
Are you sure? He'll be the Fuhrer of Port Stanley by weekend if mega brain F1GTRUENO is not mistaken.