motorcycle security

Author
Discussion

croyde

22,184 posts

225 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
As someone said above, the problem is carrying all these locks and chains around with you.

Certainly curtails the freedom of biking.

In the 80s, South London, I used to regularly have 3 bikes parked outside my flat with only steering locks, never a problem.

Since the 2000s it's gone crazy.

Attempted thefts and two 'successful' thefts of my bikes.

I get the feeling that if it wasn't for my current garage, I wouldn't get insurance now.

I use an alarmed Abus disclok when at work and add a chain when at home.

Any other riding these days are round trips with maybe a stop for a roadside cuppa.

Just watched a YouTube video where a chap had just moved to London and had to park his 12 year old Triumph outside his flat.

Next morning he found that scrotes had tried to have it away but couldn't anglegrind through his LiteLok. The blade had torn the rubber covering but had only marked the steel.

Good enough advert, I might order one.

Dog Star

15,721 posts

163 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
Reminds me of a mate of mine a couple of years ago. He was working in the Gibraltar office and lived over in Spain. Did his test over there. Moved back to the UK and brought his bike with him, got it reregistered here.

Having been over there he was somewhat naive as to the state of the UK - basically if it’s not nailed down it’ll get stolen. Came into the office in Leeds on his bike for the first time and parked it up.

Thirty minutes later it had gone.

“Was it not locked up?” I asked.

“It was” he replied, “I had the steering lock on”.

rolleyes

It’s the UK. In the same way that I assume that every single driver is going to have no insurance and wants to kill me, I assume every single person out there is a thief. Lock it up. Every. Single. Time.

snagzie

416 posts

55 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
nordboy said:
Just make sure the Hiplok d1000 will fit round the wheel. The new DX1000 is specifically made for motorbikes as it's slightly larger. It's only on kickstarter at the oment for a discount over what the RRP will be. I think the early deal is now gone but there was a further deal available last time i looked.
Nearly bought that DX1000. I dont have any issues around here but I do need something proper as opposed to the disc lock and D-Lock I have.

IIRC the early bird offer was £210, the nearly-early offer is £240. Delivery April 2024 estimated isnt for everyone though

Bob_Defly

3,474 posts

226 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
Reminds me of a mate of mine a couple of years ago. He was working in the Gibraltar office and lived over in Spain. Did his test over there. Moved back to the UK and brought his bike with him, got it reregistered here.

Having been over there he was somewhat naive as to the state of the UK - basically if it’s not nailed down it’ll get stolen. Came into the office in Leeds on his bike for the first time and parked it up.

Thirty minutes later it had gone.

“Was it not locked up?” I asked.

“It was” he replied, “I had the steering lock on”.

rolleyes

It’s the UK. In the same way that I assume that every single driver is going to have no insurance and wants to kill me, I assume every single person out there is a thief. Lock it up. Every. Single. Time.
It sounds like such a crap experience, obviously only in major metro areas, but still. I've left my key in my bike accidentally outside work, and someone brought it in to reception a few hours later. I have a couple of locks, but never use them anymore unless I'm travelling in the states.

nordboy

1,235 posts

45 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
snagzie said:
nordboy said:
Just make sure the Hiplok d1000 will fit round the wheel. The new DX1000 is specifically made for motorbikes as it's slightly larger. It's only on kickstarter at the oment for a discount over what the RRP will be. I think the early deal is now gone but there was a further deal available last time i looked.
Nearly bought that DX1000. I dont have any issues around here but I do need something proper as opposed to the disc lock and D-Lock I have.

IIRC the early bird offer was £210, the nearly-early offer is £240. Delivery April 2024 estimated isnt for everyone though
Yep, I managed to get into the early bird. I'm hoping it won't be too long after April, before next summer would be nice.

nute

626 posts

102 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
I have one of these things -

http://roadlok.com

It bolts onto the front calliper fixings with a pin which goes through the holes in the brake disk. It works very well and as its permanently fixed to the front brake you don't need to lug it about. Bloody expensive though!!

In the garage I put an extra disk lock on and a chain if im away form the house overnight.

Really frustrating that the police don't care - where is the deterrent if plod isn't even going to turn up...

Caddyshack

9,287 posts

201 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
nute said:

It bolts onto the front calliper fixings with a pin which goes through the holes in the brake disk. It works very well and as its permanently fixed to the front brake you don't need to lug it about. Bloody expensive though!!

In the garage I put an extra disk lock on and a chain if im away form the house overnight.

Really frustrating that the police don't care - where is the deterrent if plod isn't even going to turn up...
Is there anything to stop a thief using an Allen key to remove it from the bike?

Fullook

617 posts

68 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
The London stuff is what makes me as paranoid as I am, despite being hundreds of miles away. I wouldn’t take a bike into London. I wouldn’t take myself there, to be fair
I think you might have a problem that security devices can't fix tbf - you have my sympathy.

Caddyshack

9,287 posts

201 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
Fullook said:
Dog Star said:
The London stuff is what makes me as paranoid as I am, despite being hundreds of miles away. I wouldn’t take a bike into London. I wouldn’t take myself there, to be fair
I think you might have a problem that security devices can't fix tbf - you have my sympathy.
Instead of being ripped off but WBAC you may as well drive or ride in to London and wait…then claim the full value on insurance. :-)

lukeyman

1,003 posts

130 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
Caddyshack said:
nute said:

Is there anything to stop a thief using an Allen key to remove it from the bike?
It'd still be locked to the disc.

Caddyshack

9,287 posts

201 months

Friday 17th November
quotequote all
lukeyman said:
Caddyshack said:
nute said:

It'd still be locked to the disc.
Ah yes, I can see now that it has a bit of metal on the other side of the disc, I thought the pin just poked through the hole with nothing behind. That said, most thieves have angle girders and there is not a lot of metal there. I wonder if you could put some covers on the Allen heads but you would still need a way to get them off eventually.

snagzie

416 posts

55 months

Saturday
quotequote all
nute said:

I've looked at these and not sure I could bring myself to pay so much when the hiplock and litelok are proper resistant when not much more. Have a topbox though so space isn't an issue

lukeyman

1,003 posts

130 months

Saturday
quotequote all
snagzie said:
nute said:

I've looked at these and not sure I could bring myself to pay so much when the hiplock and litelok are proper resistant when not much more. Have a topbox though so space isn't an issue
Bought mine 2nd hand. Quite a good review here:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/prod...

There's also a similar thing for one's rear end!

https://easyblock.com/pages/the-motorcycle-sprocke...

Biker 1

7,428 posts

114 months

Saturday
quotequote all
I used to enjoy the odd Sunday morning ride up to the Smoke. Around 35 miles from here, I could do a trip up the Mall & take in the sights. Haven't bothered for over 7 years now as I am paranoid of bike jacking/theft.
Even going for a ride to the seaside I reckon my bike would be pinched within minutes of being parked up next to a cafe or pub. Thoroughly depressing.

nute

626 posts

102 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Caddyshack said:
nute said:

The pin would still be through the disk and set into the lock both sides. The gaps between the disk and the lock are pretty small , to the point where I very carefully wheeled mine around slowly once fitted to make sure nothing actually made contact.

The downside is that they are bloody expensive (got mine for $50 used), the upside is that you only have to carry a key and the pin around with you, not a bulky lock.

I guess you could cut the section of the disk out that it's locked to, can't see how you'd get it off otherwise, even with a grinder.

You need a torque wrench to fit it to torque up the brake bolts correctly.

Caddyshack

9,287 posts

201 months

Saturday
quotequote all
It’s a neat solution and saves the pain of carrying a big lock. If they are motivated to take it then it’s gonna go anyway, this at least makes your bike harder to steal than the one next to it with no lock

croyde

22,184 posts

225 months

Saturday
quotequote all
lukeyman said:
Bought mine 2nd hand. Quite a good review here:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/prod...

There's also a similar thing for one's rear end!

https://easyblock.com/pages/the-motorcycle-sprocke...
Looks like something the manufacturers could build into their bikes. Better than the bloody useless steering lock that only ends up being a pain for the owner.

I'd buy the roadlok but I don't have radial calipers.

Hugo Stiglitz

36,351 posts

206 months

Two disc locks, one back top of disc. Front top at back of fork/snug.

Hard to access for hammer or angle grinder

croyde

22,184 posts

225 months

I want that Litelok 3 as it took the Bennet's bloke 4 discs to grind through it.

One cut tho, so more discs for the second cut.

But order now and it's 30 days for delivery and once they have the money there may well be other delays. Shame.

I've now got 3 disc locks as well as a monster chain. Right faff but has to be done.

Dog Star

15,721 posts

163 months

One thing worth noting - I’ve a Makita battery angle grinder, and I recently chopped up an old trailer frame - basically angle iron. I had a stack of batteries. The (genuine) 5ah batteries lasted a couple of minutes, tops. I’d say with a big Pragmasis or Almax you’re probably safe, and if you’ve two on there they aren’t getting through, unless they’ve a rucksack full of spare batteries.