motorcycle security

Author
Discussion

croyde

22,184 posts

225 months

Yesterday (09:54)
quotequote all
This really is a terrible state of affairs.

When I regularly used a bike to go to jobs in London I was always happily surprised to still see it where I parked on my return.

We constantly have garage break ins where I live so again, I always open the door expecting the bike not to be there.

jdearauj

64 posts

67 months

Yesterday (10:14)
quotequote all
I think it is just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. These events happen all the time all over the world. I was born in South Africa, there you are held up or bike jacked by gun point and it is not great.
I have been living in the UK for over 20 years and have been commuting into London where nothing of the sort has happened to me. I ride my GS into the city, I secure it with a chain around the rear wheel and Roadlok + disc lock on the front. That is all I use and if they want the bike they will find a way to take it.
As long as you deter them in some way that is really all you can do. Make sure your bike is insured.

Fullook

617 posts

68 months

Yesterday (10:57)
quotequote all
jdearauj said:
I think it is just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. These events happen all the time all over the world. I was born in South Africa, there you are held up or bike jacked by gun point and it is not great.
I have been living in the UK for over 20 years and have been commuting into London where nothing of the sort has happened to me. I ride my GS into the city, I secure it with a chain around the rear wheel and Roadlok + disc lock on the front. That is all I use and if they want the bike they will find a way to take it.
As long as you deter them in some way that is really all you can do. Make sure your bike is insured.
Can I ask why you use both Roadlok and disc lock together?

Also, how easy is the Roadlok to use, I'm interested in getting one, but it looks as though getting the spindle to pop into the disc hole when you're locking it can be a bit fussy..?

KTMsm

26,224 posts

258 months

Yesterday (11:05)
quotequote all
To stop the majority of thefts you just need to lock it to something solid and ideally also use a decent disclock

Firstly to stop it being thrown in a van, second to make it hard to remove

It's true you'll never stop the real pro's but I suspect 95% are just idiots looking for easy money so they'll get £500 / £1000 per bike so they just steal the easy ones

If YOU are willing to recover it get an airtag / tracker

Recently went to the IOM with my EXC and everyone said bike theft isn't a problem but parking them up outside cafes with no security - I couldn't relax - so moved mine in front of the window but the other 13 bikes weren't touched - wouldn't want to try that most places in the UK

The Selfish Gene

5,247 posts

205 months

Yesterday (11:52)
quotequote all
Fullook said:
We're in agreement - we all do a bit of mental gymnastics and either consciously or subconsciously weigh up, as said before, cost / faff vs enjoying the bike vs peace of mind.

I'm at peace with the chance that my bike might get nicked, you're not. I think that's the only point of difference and I'm certainly not trying to persuade anyone they should take the same approach I do.

I'm not completely reckless - at home the bike is in a locked garage, pragmasis chain & anchor. When I park it up (for hours, well out of my direct line of sight, in a city centre, or overnight somewhere in a national park car park - shock!) I'll generally, but not always, secure the back wheel with the pragmasis chain. It's a 1250 GSA and it's more likely to get nicked that it would be under your care, but I'm enjoying using it for tasks and in places that your paranoia wouldn't allow you to.

There is a certain frisson of uncertainty everytime I come back to where I parked up - will it still be there? - but hell, I get that everytime I open the garage door, or come back home after a holiday.
of course - and I hope you never do experience the worst. It's pants.

I'd love nothing more than to not have to plan my parking before I get on the bike biggrin

That said - when I leave London (soon is the plan) I'm sure I'll be a lot less guarded

lukeyman

1,003 posts

130 months

Yesterday (12:17)
quotequote all
Fullook said:
Can I ask why you use both Roadlok and disc lock together?

Also, how easy is the Roadlok to use, I'm interested in getting one, but it looks as though getting the spindle to pop into the disc hole when you're locking it can be a bit fussy..?
The actual pin bit is sprung loaded. I usually don't wait for it to locate in the disc because it will as soon as the bike moves. That also means the lock element will jump out to meet my hand as I unlock it.

kennydies

198 posts

113 months

Yesterday (16:56)
quotequote all
Bike Social has done some great bike secuity reviews and litelok and hiplok 1000 were excellent against angle grinders...

Edited by kennydies on Tuesday 21st November 16:59

Caddyshack

9,287 posts

201 months

Yesterday (17:00)
quotequote all
It is worth adding a disc lock as well that has a loud siren if disturbed as it alerts you if close and can persuade thieves...they may not be top security but they make a racket and can put some off.

nute

626 posts

102 months

Yesterday (20:03)
quotequote all
I have one that was advertised as super loud 100db ( or similar). I’ve set it off in the garage a couple of times by accident and I think my alarm clock is louder…

Tribal Chestnut

2,978 posts

177 months

Yesterday (20:11)
quotequote all
nute said:
I have one that was advertised as super loud 100db ( or similar). I’ve set it off in the garage a couple of times by accident and I think my alarm clock is louder…
Agreed, your alarm clock is probably more of a deterrent too.

KTMsm

26,224 posts

258 months

Yesterday (20:49)
quotequote all
nute said:
I've got a £50 ish one and it hurts my ears - it came with a metal cable that can attach to something solid too

It's what I generally take with me if I go out

Caddyshack

9,287 posts

201 months

Yesterday (21:05)
quotequote all
KTMsm said:
nute said:
I've got a £50 ish one and it hurts my ears - it came with a metal cable that can attach to something solid too

It's what I generally take with me if I go out
Yes, I have one with the cable and if it goes off in my shed (I have them on my mountain bikes too) I cannot stay in the shed as it hurts my ears.

Think like a thief, which bike would you stand next to with your tools…the one making a noise with the extra lock or the one without the extra lock and noise? The thief would be very self conscious with an alarm attracting any attention.

HBG12

18 posts

61 months

Yesterday (21:06)
quotequote all
I'm resigned to the fact that one theft claim will probably put an end to my motorcycling. At home my Wing lives at the side of the house locked to a Y ground anchor (Pragmasis chain) with an alarmed disk lock on the front. The bike is under a framed cover.

When I'm out it's just the disk lock. I try to park in busy areas and am not afraid to park on the pavement if it suits.

When I'm away I only take a disk lock but always cover the bike at night.

I live in the suburbs and ride in central London often. Hope that the sheer weight of the bike is a deterrent as you'd need a team if blokes to lift it!

okenemem

Original Poster:

1,348 posts

189 months

HBG12 said:
I'm resigned to the fact that one theft claim will probably put an end to my motorcycling. At home my Wing lives at the side of the house locked to a Y ground anchor (Pragmasis chain) with an alarmed disk lock on the front. The bike is under a framed cover.

When I'm out it's just the disk lock. I try to park in busy areas and am not afraid to park on the pavement if it suits.

When I'm away I only take a disk lock but always cover the bike at night.

I live in the suburbs and ride in central London often. Hope that the sheer weight of the bike is a deterrent as you'd need a team if blokes to lift it!
is your chain bigger than 22mm