Different studless winter tyres per axle

Different studless winter tyres per axle

Author
Discussion

pikey

Original Poster:

7,690 posts

279 months

I'm in Japan, and approaching winter means one has to get winter tyres (will get in to trouble with Police and insurance company)

My car (BMW 5 series X drive) has 245/40r19 on front and 275/35/r19 on rear.

I can't find a manufacturer that sells winter tyres (specifically 'studless' as I'll be taking into snow resorts) in both these sizes. So someone who sells 245/40 doesn't do 275/35 and someone who does 275/35 doesn't do 245/40.. (or rather my googling hasn't found one)

I figure my options are :

a) buy some for the front with some and for the back and not be concerned about the mix

b) buy new 19" 'winter' wheels with tyres that are the same. However my issue with this option is I'll only be staying for about 12 months before taking the car back to Australia with me.. that doesn't have a too much need for winter wheels and tyres.

Any tips / thoughts / advice on going with option a of two manufacturers?

Thanks

Edited by on Wednesday 22 November 00:55

fttm

3,515 posts

130 months

Doesn't seem right , check the tires sizes fitted from new . Also sounds a stupidly low profiles for an SUV/off road vehicle

pikey

Original Poster:

7,690 posts

279 months

fttm said:
Doesn't seem right , check the tires sizes fitted from new . Also sounds a stupidly low profiles for an SUV/off road vehicle
Yep. It's what's on there at the moment, and having a quick look, the sales brochure says
1UX
M Light Alloy Wheel Y Spoke Styling 845M Bicolor (Jet Black)
(Front) 8J x 19 wheels + 245/40R19 tires
(Rear) 9J x 19 wheels + 275/35R19 tires

Not an SUV or off road vehicle, is a 5 series

fttm

3,515 posts

130 months

Yup sorry my mistake , skip read it as an X5 .