RE: 2023 INEOS Grenadier | PH Review

RE: 2023 INEOS Grenadier | PH Review

Author
Discussion

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

DonkeyApple said:
I think the 5,000/annum was just U.K. sales projections with greater numbers sold in North America and Rest of World.

Re turning a profit, I imagine the car business has been structured so as to enable the writing off of much of the capex against Group tax liabilities?
Indeed, according to google Ineos group profit in 22 was 2.5b against 3.5 the previous year. I don’t imagine he’s too unhappy at reducing his tax liabilities.

silentbrown

8,479 posts

111 months

DonkeyApple said:
I think the 5,000/annum was just U.K. sales projections with greater numbers sold in North America and Rest of World.

Re turning a profit, I imagine the car business has been structured so as to enable the writing off of much of the capex against Group tax liabilities?
I remember a UK figure of 5000, too.

From 2019, but... " INEOS hopes to sell 25,000 to 30,000 units a year, with production planned to begin in 2021."
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/british-startup...

UK registrations to date are 800.

Edited by silentbrown on Sunday 19th November 13:34

DonkeyApple

53,124 posts

164 months

I'm sure they planned to take a few years to get up to 5k/annum but 800 over 6 months which includes a couple of years of pre-orders might be a little bit worrying if the business didn't have near bottomless pockets?

NomduJour

18,183 posts

254 months

Maybe they’re all owned by real men deep in the wilderness, who don’t need to register them for extreme off-road use? After all, there were loads and loads of people who were going to buy one instead of a limp-wristed Defender. Check the car parks at the log chopping and bear wrestling fairs?

silentbrown

8,479 posts

111 months

silentbrown said:
UK registrations to date are 800.
D'oh. I'd forgotten that some get registered as LCV's. That's another 680 in the UK, so 1480 to date.

Pflanzgarten

3,211 posts

20 months

Yesterday (17:35)
quotequote all
Had the pleasure of putting this through its paces today…

What a machine! Some truly demanding trails, wading and sheer rock inclimbs and declines, I ground out a guard only once and the only electronic intervention was a small intervention of automatic hill descent.

Off road, in the wilds of the Lake District this thing was unstoppable. We’ve had rain solid for weeks and these trails were running wet.

On road, the self centring on the steering really didn’t catch you out after a couple of miles and anything above 20mph. I can’t help thinking that all the comments in the reviews are simply a stick to beat it with-if you can’t get used to it within ten minutes you shouldn’t be on the roads.

It does have a high ratio of turns, I feel a three spoke wheel would be better to keep track of it but I imagine again, within a few days you wouldn’t think about it too much.

I arrived in air suspended comfort in my defender, it quieter, more refined and more comfortable but a better 4x4-I seriously doubt it.

I took my father and a couple of mates, they’re all in their 70s and two are serial old defender owners. We all absolutely loved it.

One who had knee problems did find the footrest made it necessary to push the seat back further than he’d have preferred but the car and footrest fitted three out of four of us perfectly-one of whom is a 70 year old well over six footer!

Price wise, it’s getting expensive in the ‘24 model year-on par with a new defender (ie over £70k including vat). One of my mates still has a pre price rise slot at £50k-ish but he’s the one with the dodgy knee.

My new defender is without a doubt a better road car, family car and more suited to my usual use-I don’t build houses down rock strewn forestry tracks up fells!-but the want for a Grenadier is still so strong-more so after spending a morning in one.

If I could run one as a commercial vehicle I’d have it in an instant.

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

Yesterday (19:06)
quotequote all
Nice, looks like great fun!

I get mine on Tuesday bounce

W124

1,405 posts

133 months

Yesterday (19:53)
quotequote all
I do want one. Utterly irrationally. The only new car I really like.

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

Yesterday (19:59)
quotequote all
W124 said:
I do want one. Utterly irrationally. The only new car I really like.
Yep, pretty much exactly my thoughts too.

vdn

8,886 posts

198 months

Pflanzgarten said:
I arrived in air suspended comfort in my defender, it quieter, more refined and more comfortable but a better 4x4-I seriously doubt it.
From most accounts, the Defender IS a better 4x4. Better on and off road.