Max Verstappen

Author
Discussion

paulguitar

21,636 posts

108 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
It's interesting how people can rewrite history in their heads to support a story that they wish to be true. As we've seen here over the last couple of pages, it's possible to convince oneself of something that's directly contradicted by facts and evidence. I will discuss this with Mrs Guitar sometime, as it is interesting from a psychological perspective. (She's a psychology doc).

HustleRussell

24,052 posts

155 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
How has deadslow managed to make the Max Verstappen thread about Lewis Hamilton again hehe

He must be a big fan, right? scratchchin

520TORQUES

2,542 posts

10 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
It's interesting how people can rewrite history in their heads to support a story that they wish to be true. As we've seen here over the last couple of pages, it's possible to convince oneself of something that's directly contradicted by facts and evidence. I will discuss this with Mrs Guitar sometime, as it is interesting from a psychological perspective. (She's a psychology doc).
It's common in court trial situations where eye witnesses are proven to not be telling the truth of what they witnessed, despite not deliberately doing so, because of the way the mind processes and stores memory.

Eye witnesses are often the least reliable witnesses, this is becoming more recognised as cases go to appeal when more reliable evidence is found, such as video and forensic data.

Bo_apex

2,162 posts

213 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
It's interesting how people can rewrite history in their heads to support a story that they wish to be true. As we've seen here over the last couple of pages, it's possible to convince oneself of something that's directly contradicted by facts and evidence.
Tony Blair and Boris Johnson are masters of this.

EmailAddress

11,832 posts

213 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
Not sure BoJo is going to get to keep his first draft laugh

PhilAsia

3,351 posts

70 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
paulguitar said:

deadslow

7,829 posts

218 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
520TORQUES said:
paulguitar said:
It's common in court trial situations where eye witnesses are proven to not be telling the truth of what they witnessed, despite not deliberately doing so, because of the way the mind processes and stores memory.

Eye witnesses are often the least reliable witnesses, this is becoming more recognised as cases go to appeal when more reliable evidence is found, such as video and forensic data.
hehe You boys are spot on. I remember watching Silverston '21, when Max got punted off deliberately. Plain for all to see, but Lewis fans could not see it. I believe their brains could not process what was happening right in front of them because it contradicted their prefered narrative and ingrained bias. They were not lying; they were deluded.

I discussed it with Mrs Deadslow and oh how we laughed rofl

520TORQUES

2,542 posts

10 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
deadslow said:
hehe You boys are spot on. I remember watching Silverston '21, when Max got punted off deliberately. Plain for all to see, but Lewis fans could not see it. I believe their brains could not process what was happening right in front of them because it contradicted their prefered narrative and ingrained bias. They were not lying; they were deluded.

laughpunch

PhilAsia

3,351 posts

70 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
deadslow said:
520TORQUES said:
paulguitar said:

Errrrm, ok Tinkerbell.....

MustangGT

11,220 posts

275 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
deadslow said:

roflroflrofl

Utterly delusional.

Blib

42,831 posts

192 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
deadslow said:

Max nearly died, you know. yes

PhilAsia

3,351 posts

70 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
deadslow said:
>snip<I discussed it with Mrs Deadslow and oh how we laughed rofl
Mrs Deadslow laughing at your deluded waffle is completely understandable ds.

paulguitar

21,636 posts

108 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
deadslow said:
The long winter evenings must just fly by.

paulguitar

21,636 posts

108 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
Blib said:
deadslow said:

5,137g

HighwayStar

4,065 posts

139 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
Blib said:
deadslow said:

5,137g
It was basically Max’s yield or crash move… wink
We all know if it was the other way around with Lewis off into the barriers Deadslow and the like would saying he should’ve backed off, stupid to put is car there, racing incident, Hamilton fanboys moaning again. Max can do no wrong.

PhilAsia

3,351 posts

70 months

Saturday 4th November
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
deadslow said:
The long winter evenings must just fly by.

Indeed. Intimate. Engaging. Enlightening.

I can see it now... rofl

A44RON

415 posts

91 months

Sunday 5th November
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
The 2012 Mercedes won a race in China but only scored two other podiums that year - one each for Rosberg and Schumacher. Aside from those 3 rostrum appearances, it's best result was 5th.

Hamilton allegedly made his decision around the 2012 Singapore GP, when his McLaren transmission broke whilst leading. Mercedes only scored one points finish in the six races after Singapore so I'm not sure how that translates as a car getting "better and better"

The McLaren MP4-27 won two of the last six races, plus six top five finishes.

Mercedes had potential, with Brawn and the backing of Mercedes but the point here isn't about potential, it's about risk. Deadslow claims there was none, but there irrefutably was.
The point here IS very much about potential though. After all, they were in prime position to capitalise on the 2014 hybrid era thanks to Ross Brawn's genius, their enormous budget, being a works factory team and having their vast pool of very very talented personnel already in place. People in here underestimate the groundwork and foundations that Ross Brawn laid from 2010 to 2013. Compare that to what McLaren-Mercedes were offering going forwards in terms of resources, sponsorship, customer engines, design direction....

DOCG

530 posts

49 months

Sunday 5th November
quotequote all
PhilAsia said:
Indeed. Intimate. Engaging. Enlightening.

I can see it now... rofl
Why on Earth is this part of the forum so nasty? Someone prefer Max over Lewis so another user implies their wife is a sock puppet. Jesus.

PhilAsia

3,351 posts

70 months

Sunday 5th November
quotequote all
PhilAsia said:
DOCG said:
Why on Earth is this part of the forum so nasty? Someone prefer Max over Lewis so another user implies their wife is a sock puppet. Jesus.
Oh, hello again DOCG, or should it be Mr. DOCG?

Apart from castigating PH forum users for being familiar with drivers' names (so why you used Max and Lewis was very concerning/controversial ), last time out I was "authoritarian" for my support of Piquet's fine for his racist comments.

If the sock puppet "implied" it was their wife, that is your interpretation. I found it to be a mildly amusing picture and I am sure deadslow thought so too. He dishes it out more than most.

EDIT: your post - ".....In this forum it is often Max, Lewis, George, etc. It sounds as if they are pretending to know these drivers personally and are on a first name basis with them. I think it is very strange to refer to strangers or public figures by their first names. Would you also refer to the Prime Minister or other public figures by their first names?...... Very strange you now have done a complete u-turn..!? BTW, it's Mr. Jesus...

Edited by PhilAsia on Sunday 5th November 05:32

Muzzer79

9,059 posts

182 months

Sunday 5th November
quotequote all
A44RON said:
Muzzer79 said:
The 2012 Mercedes won a race in China but only scored two other podiums that year - one each for Rosberg and Schumacher. Aside from those 3 rostrum appearances, it's best result was 5th.

Hamilton allegedly made his decision around the 2012 Singapore GP, when his McLaren transmission broke whilst leading. Mercedes only scored one points finish in the six races after Singapore so I'm not sure how that translates as a car getting "better and better"

The McLaren MP4-27 won two of the last six races, plus six top five finishes.

Mercedes had potential, with Brawn and the backing of Mercedes but the point here isn't about potential, it's about risk. Deadslow claims there was none, but there irrefutably was.
The point here IS very much about potential though. After all, they were in prime position to capitalise on the 2014 hybrid era thanks to Ross Brawn's genius, their enormous budget, being a works factory team and having their vast pool of very very talented personnel already in place. People in here underestimate the groundwork and foundations that Ross Brawn laid from 2010 to 2013. Compare that to what McLaren-Mercedes were offering going forwards in terms of resources, sponsorship, customer engines, design direction....
But there was still risk that it wouldn’t work. Nobody had a crystal ball. The 2012 Mercedes showed nothing of what it would be in 2014.

Deadslow’s claim was that there was no risk. For a start, there’s risk in every employer change, F1 or not.

If I was a driver moving to Red Bull for 2024, there’d be risk. Small risk, granted, but still risk.

Moving to Mercedes in 2013 carried a lot more risk. With crystal clear hindsight, it’s easy to say they were always on a winning path, but at the time nobody knew that - it was all could-be, should-be.