Author
Discussion

jeremy996

306 posts

221 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
sisu said:
This 9000km aussie bloke seems to give some owner perspective.
Basically there is no storage inside the 4x4 other than the arm rest. No electrical outlets or ability to add more.
The reverse camera screen is poor.
There is no manual or wiring diagram.
Towing and electrics are thru a NATO plug and this is on the same circuit as the winch, so if you have a caravan that has a fridge its a mess.
Some small detail issues:-

There's a small glove box, 2 door pockets and the arm rest, (so long as your ordered it). Storage is a little lacking, but should you really have that much junk around you anyway? The hardback customer manual takes up quite a bit of the glovebox, if you carry it.

There are electrical outlets in the centre cubby but none in or under the dash as standard. There are pre-wired tails to the roof switches in the base of the A pillars and under the bonnet, so putting outlets in the footwell or at the top of the dash is not a big deal. My aftermarket dashcam is actually piggy-backed into one of the fuse boards and will run in parking mode with the roof PWR switch thrown.

The reverse camera screen is OK but only takes up part of the touch screen. Most whingers seem to want it to fill the entire screen.

There is a customer manual, it is not great, https://ineosautomotive.stylelabs.cloud/api/public... The service manual is not yet available to the public unless you can get your local dealer to print bits out. A wider access regime is due Qtr1 2024.

The UK/Europe/Australian tow gear uses a 13 pin Euro socket, but not all pins are wired, so there is not a permanent live to the rear as standard. There is a 400A NATO plug at the rear which could be repurposed to add a live to a caravan, currently wired through the winch circuit. It would not be a big deal to add a live to the 13 pin socket.

Snow and Rocks

1,439 posts

22 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
Lefty said:
Yeah he loves it!
I suspected as much.

Hopefully should be able to watch once I rejoin the civilised world later today.

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
Are you thinking about one?

Shame there’s no dealer up here, I’m going to pop in to grange next time I’m down in Edinburgh.

I had paid a deposit on one but when I discovered it’s not a commercial vehicle in the eye of HMRC for BIK backed out. I still really want one so am figuring out best way to buy one personally rather than through my company. Might be lending myself the money.

Not many of the spec I’d like around though. Don’t really mind petrol or diesel but I’d want 5 seat station wagon, cloth, no carpet, diff locks, safari windows, steel wheels in grey or black.

NomduJour

18,183 posts

254 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
jeremy996 said:
There's a small glove box, 2 door pockets and the arm rest, (so long as your ordered it). Storage is a little lacking, but should you really have that much junk around you anyway? The hardback customer manual takes up quite a bit of the glovebox, if you carry it
So where does the Grenadier pilot store the zip-offs from his tactical convertible combat trousers?

Snow and Rocks

1,439 posts

22 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
Lefty said:
Are you thinking about one?

Shame there’s no dealer up here, I’m going to pop in to grange next time I’m down in Edinburgh.

I had paid a deposit on one but when I discovered it’s not a commercial vehicle in the eye of HMRC for BIK backed out. I still really want one so am figuring out best way to buy one personally rather than through my company. Might be lending myself the money.

Not many of the spec I’d like around though. Don’t really mind petrol or diesel but I’d want 5 seat station wagon, cloth, no carpet, diff locks, safari windows, steel wheels in grey or black.
Not for me I don't think - I suspect I'll replace my working Hilux with either the new Land Cruiser "Prado" or with the best 200 series I can find. A base spec 300 series is actually quite reasonably priced in Australia but import is probably too much hassle.

My other half however loves them and it would actually be pretty well suited to our usage if it proves reliable enough for sensible long term ownership.

Your spec sounds good. Ours would ideally be green on steels with the diff locks, cloth and probably the 5 seat utility wagon.

(Edited to add - let us know how you get on in Edinburgh, will likely do the same at some point)

Edited by Snow and Rocks on Friday 3rd November 13:21

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

Friday 3rd November
quotequote all
Yeah my intent would be to buy one and keep it forever. From that point of view it might make sense to buy new but fk me the spec I want is £80k and no way to get vat back rolleyes

At the moment we have a Transit custom crew cab, a defender 90 and an L200 as our “practical” vehicles, all owned through a couple of companies. I’d like to replace all 3 with a Grenadier. Frustratingly the three current vehicles are probably worth £50k plus vat but not being able to run the grenadier as a company vehicle really screws that idea.

Edited by Lefty on Saturday 4th November 07:29

silentbrown

8,479 posts

111 months

Monday 6th November
quotequote all
Updating this to include Oct. figures.

Ineos UK Regs: YTD 800

Month Registrations
March 0
April 94
May 182
June 152
July 93
August 62
September 155
October 62

A.J.M

7,801 posts

181 months

Monday 6th November
quotequote all
With 94 on autotrader…
Quite a few with delivery miles.

On another site a person said that the MY 24 ones are getting a 10% price increase.

Given a few models are £76k already… that’s quite a jump.

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

Saturday
quotequote all
VIN numbers are over 9000 now so they’re selling reasonably well, UK not a huge market, probably down to the HMRC VAT/BIK issues I expect.

Over a year waiting list for a new one, I just placed a deposit on this:

Trialmaster diesel station wagon
Safari windows
Cloth, no carpets
Privacy glass
17” steelies
Rear storage box thing
300 miles

Can’t wait!

Job 1: remove steps
Job 2: fit cargo barrier

The only thing is have done differently when speccing my own one would have been red chassis but that’s not worth the 12k saving and 12 month wait. I might have got the saddle leather pack too. I really wanted steels and no carpet but safari windows and lockers were deal breakers. Leather or cloth not really an issue as I’ll be putting seat covers on. Actually even diesel or petrol wouldn’t really have bothered me.

I might fit a roof rack at some point. Want to be able to open the safari windows though.

Edited by Lefty on Saturday 18th November 14:02

Snow and Rocks

1,439 posts

22 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Looks great - sounds like a decent spec too.

Was this from Edinburgh? Let us know how you get on, I'm hoping to get a drive of one when I'm down at the end of the month.

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Thanks.

No it came from the dealer in Portsmouth - only place I could find one in spec I wanted.

I was speaking to a chap in huntly at the weekend who kindly let me have a look around his and a short passenger ride and that convinced me.

Edited by Lefty on Saturday 18th November 14:02

Pflanzgarten

3,211 posts

20 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Seems to be plenty about at £50k inc VAT now.

DonkeyApple

53,124 posts

164 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Pflanzgarten said:
I've noticed one or two on AT now. The number for sale seems to have steadied at just under 100. What seems quite interesting is the number with just a few miles that appear to equate to the distance from the ferry terminal to the vendor.

I'd guess most of those are cars people hoped to just stag. The Grenadier does appear to be the random car that just happened to have a delivery date on the wrong side of that bubble?

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Pflanzgarten said:
Yeah but generally not great spec or colours.

Cheapest station wagon with axle lockers and safari windows is mid 60’s.

sosidge

647 posts

210 months

Lefty said:
VIN numbers are over 9000 now so they’re selling reasonably well, UK not a huge market
What are the big markets & what are the sales figures in them?

legless

1,619 posts

135 months

Lefty said:
VIN numbers are over 9000 now so they’re selling reasonably well, UK not a huge market, probably down to the HMRC VAT/BIK issues I expect.
Bearing in mind it's now been in production for 16 months, that's not great.

Even the old Defender was consistently selling 15-25k units annually in its last decade of production, and that was a level that was deemed uneconomical to justify the capital investment costs of a like-for-like replacement.

Fair enough if Ratcliffe wanted to do this for his own amusement, but there's no way he'll ever turn a profit from it.

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

sosidge said:
Lefty said:
VIN numbers are over 9000 now so they’re selling reasonably well, UK not a huge market
What are the big markets & what are the sales figures in them?
No idea. I think I read somewhere they were aiming for 5k a year production minimum.

sosidge

647 posts

210 months

Lefty said:
No idea. I think I read somewhere they were aiming for 5k a year production minimum.
Production is not a market.

They may have built/assigned 9000 VINs. Does not mean they have sold them to end users. 1000s could be sitting at the (large) factory in the South of France and in dealers.

What is interesting and relevant is where the other 8,000 cars are now. Because they aren't with UK end users. And my personal opinion is that the idea that the Grenadier will sell in large quantities outside the UK is a fantasy.

Lets see the sales figures to know where these cars actually are.

DonkeyApple

53,124 posts

164 months

I think the 5,000/annum was just U.K. sales projections with greater numbers sold in North America and Rest of World.

Re turning a profit, I imagine the car business has been structured so as to enable the writing off of much of the capex against Group tax liabilities?

Lefty

15,813 posts

197 months

sosidge said:
Lefty said:
Production is not a market.

They may have built/assigned 9000 VINs. Does not mean they have sold them to end users. 1000s could be sitting at the (large) factory in the South of France and in dealers.

What is interesting and relevant is where the other 8,000 cars are now. Because they aren't with UK end users. And my personal opinion is that the idea that the Grenadier will sell in large quantities outside the UK is a fantasy.

Lets see the sales figures to know where these cars actually are.
No i agree production isn’t the same as sales, doesn’t seem to be much info out there. It’s definitely a niche within a niche and it doesn’t appeal to the luxury SUV market.

Toyota have stopped taking orders for the new 70 series land cruise in Australia because they can’t keep up, these are the customers Ineos have to tempt. These are people for whom the reliability worries of a Land Rover product are a deal breaker and the independent suspension of most other large 4x4’s aren’t what they want either.

Biggest complaint from Australian buyers (or potential buyers) seems to be range, I wonder how long until somebody enterprising makes a long range tank for it.